Welcome!

I will invite you to the blog using the e-mail address you gave me in class.
NOTE: the invitation doesn't always work with non-gmail addresses. If this is the case, please e-mail me from a gmail address (you all have an ocdsb one if you don't feel like creating a new one).

You will need to accept my invitation then create a profile. Please use your real first name and the first letter of your last name as your profile name (so I can tell who's posting).

Due dates are as follows:

-Blog 1: Wednesday March 30, 2016
-Blog 2: Friday April 29, 2016
-Blog 3: Friday June 10, 2016

Happy blogging!

Thursday 28 April 2016

At Least My Friends Don't Kidnap Me

Dude You're Screwed Season 1 Episode 1
Originally aired on Discovery
Rating: *****

Mr. Laughton mentioned this show once in class, and I wanted to check it out for myself. Not only was the first episode fun to watch, but I also learnt some cool stuff.

This show is about a group of survival experts who kidnap a member of their group and dump him in a remote location. The kidnapped guy then has 100 hours to reach civilization or he loses "the Game". In the first episode, Jake Zweig, a Navy Seal, is dumped on Mount Loomundur in Iceland, 20 miles away from a remote village. Jake ultimately reaches the village and wins the Game, but not before making some really stupid decisions that almost cause him to lose.

While the men in the show are put in extreme survival situations, I still learnt some cool applicable tricks. For example, Jake uses the leather strap on the wooden shield in his survival kit to create goggles to protect his eyes from snow blindness. Later, Jake cuts up his shield and fashions a shovel in an attempt to build a snow cave. I was really impressed by his resourcefulness and ability to turn everything in his survival kit into one or more tools. When I next go camping I'll definitely be looking at all my gear and thinking "how else could I use that?". I also learnt what not to do by watching some of Jake's mistakes. One night, he's camped near a geothermal spring, and foolishly decides to make a bed on top of the hot ground. While he is initially warmed by the hot steam, after an hour he's soaked from head to toe. And just a foot away from his bed, the temperature's below freezing. As tempting as it is, warm steam must be avoided in a cold environment to prevent hypothermia and death.

I really enjoyed the first episode, and plan to watch more on the weekend. I recommend it to anyone else who's interested in survival shows, especially if you're bored with "traditional" survival shows. Dude You're Screwed takes survival to a whole new level. Many episodes can be found on Youtube. Here's a link to the episode I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahc280Ug1aU

 Dude Youre Screwed. "Dude Youre Screwed Season 1 Episode 1 Full HD Full Episodes." YouTube. YouTube, 17 Feb. 2015. Web. 28 Apr. 2016.  

No comments:

Post a Comment