Welcome!

I will invite you to the blog using the e-mail address you gave me in class.
NOTE: the invitation doesn't always work with non-gmail addresses. If this is the case, please e-mail me from a gmail address (you all have an ocdsb one if you don't feel like creating a new one).

You will need to accept my invitation then create a profile. Please use your real first name and the first letter of your last name as your profile name (so I can tell who's posting).

Due dates are as follows:

-Blog 1: Wednesday March 30, 2016
-Blog 2: Friday April 29, 2016
-Blog 3: Friday June 10, 2016

Happy blogging!

Wednesday 30 March 2016

"Speedriding: Freestyle Skiing meets Paragliding" Review

By: Dylan Maltais
Rating: 5/5

The videoSpeedriding: Freestyle Skiing meets Paragliding” was posted by Red Bull onto YouTube and what this video shows is the amazing talents of pro freestyle skier Aaron Durogati. This video follows him as he flies/skis down the mountain with a pair of skis strapped to his feet and a parachute strapped to his back. Through the view of various GoPro cameras the viewer can see and almost feel exactly what Aaron is going through as he sails down this mountain with extreme speeds.


            I personally was instantly intrigued by the title of this video “Speedriding: Freestyle Skiing meets Paragliding” not only because I am a skier myself, but also because of my pure curiosity. How is it possible to mix these two extreme sports together? This video does a very good job at showing just that, while not only is it an extreme sport is also a great way to appreciate the mountains. The views shown in this video are absolutely insane.

            Skiing has been a passion of mine for a very long-time and although I consider myself a pretty experienced skier, there is no way I would ever try this.  This sport combines two things that seem like they wouldn’t mix at all. I have been both parasailing and skiing (not at the same time) yet the things that occur in this video are still nerve racking. The way Aaron Durogati handles the extreme heights and speeds with such ease is a mystery to me, the way he stays calm even though he is only a foot above rocks or snow at times going at insane speed is just that “insane” and the fact the he keeps on speedriding is just incredible.

            This video really relates to Outdoor Ed class, because it’s a great example of an activity that occurs outside that is both exhilarating and very thought provoking. I think most of what Outdoor Ed as a class is showing us exhilarating outdoor activities, but also educating us about the great outdoors. Besides being possibly one of the coolest videos I have ever seen, this video is also not only a great example of an extreme version of the things we do in outdoor ed, but a perfect example.

 

I would highly recommend that anyone interested in the outdoors watch this video because of the many different aspects it showcases.



No comments:

Post a Comment